I love nail polish. I may not have time or reason to put on makeup every day (as much as I love it), but I like to have nice looking nails. The hour I spend on them each week is a mini-vacation wherein I escape to a tiny bubble that is centered around the ends of my hands.
This bubble may or may not be poorly ventilated…
(Just kidding! Always crack a window/door/vent when using chemicals like nail polish & nail polish remover!)
Anyway, I got really excited about how my nails turned out this week, so I thought I’d share how I did it.
How to get the look
- Start with either acrylics with clear tips and the glitter powder OR a base coat of glitter nail polish. Let this dry thoroughly. If you can leave a fingerprint impression in the topcoat, it’s not dry enough. Honestly, I’d just wait until the next day, personally. But that’s just me.
- FOR THE DIAGONAL NAILS: Get some tape (I like satin tape the most) and cut it down into triangles (not because it’s going to determine the shape, but because it conserves tape and it’s easier to lay flat on the curved surface of your nail).
- Place the triangular piece of tape across your nail, making sure that it’s aligned from the top corner to the opposite corner on the bottom.
- FOR THE STARBURST NAILS: Get some tape (I like satin tape the most) and cut it down into super thin strips. You can also use nail stripe tape, which is significantly easier and the sizing is more consistent. But that’s only if you want to do it the easy way. Don’t worry, I’m not judging.
- Place the tape strips however you’d like them, whether that’s centered or off of the corner. I opted for the corner to keep the look consistent with the rest of the nails. I’d also recommend starting with the center strip and going outwards so you 1. have room, and 2. keep consistent spacing. (for a really awesome step-by-step with pictures, check out Chloe’s Nails
- Apply a coat of your nail polish of choice
- REMOVE TAPE IMMEDIATELY. This is important, because if the nail polish dries, you’re going to end up peeling off what you just did and potentially some of whatever nail polish or top coat was beneath it.
- Apply a top coat. VOILA! Done.
It’s a super fun look, and it’s not as hard as it looks, either.